Tuesday, December 28, 2004

 
Would you like some quotes with that?

I have always enjoyed famous quotations. I think the reason a quotation seems nice to one is that it re-inforces something the person believes in. Some of my favorite quotations are - "Its the journey that matters and not the destination" and "Love like you have never been hurt, work like you dont need the money, and dance like nobody's watching!".
This is because these quotes re-inforce my beliefs that its necessary to enjoy life at every moment and not keep thinking about the future (all the time), and that it is important to have a childlike enthusiasm about a lot of things in life and not be cynical. Cynicism inevitably sets in as you grow older, so one has to swim against the current to hold it off and maintain a vibrant attitude to life.
I have also wanted to see if I can come up with some good quotes on my own. Of course, most of them would be appealing mostly to myself since its a reflection of my beliefs, but I am hoping that some of them are generic enough for other people to appreciate too.
Some of them I came up with are:

"Life is too important to act on advice"

This is a reflection of my belief that an advice given by someone is almost never applicable to any other person. The advice given by a person cannot be viewed on its own, it comes coated with the advice-giver's own character. This is because the same event that occurs on two different people may lead them to completely different conclusions based on the person's character, environment and upbringing.

"Know that a person is secure in himself only if he's able to make fun of everything he stands for"

In my experience, people that are not confident, or secure within themselves manifest it by being a bit too strict, or by taking offense to small things. The real measure that a person is secure is when he is able to laugh at himself, his behavior, religion, culture, etc. It does not mean that he ridicules them or thinks it to be inferior - just that along with his beliefs, he is also able to recognize the quirks in all of them and laugh it off. Because, lets face it, everything has quirks, however minor.

Now ladies and gentlemen, if you think you have already seen the above quotes somewhere else, I assure you, its not a case of plagiarism, just coincidence! Someone somewhere not only has my beliefs, he/she thinks like me too!


Comments:
I totally agree with some of the quotes you had put here.

As I always have said to people who have made fun of my nerdy interests: "Was I not secure in my geekiness, I would take offense to that".
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]